Online Video Marketing Has Evolved Towards Personalization
Online video marketing is a true game changer! People love watching videos of every type and style. Let’s face it! Video marketing is evolving and if you haven’t started with your own videos, it’s time to get moving.
Nowadays, especially since Covid hit, videos are more popular than ever! More people than ever before are watching videos, especially on Youtube. There are many explainer videos, promotional videos, entertainment videos and an endless number of tutorial videos. Even those videos that are NOT professional level productions sometimes get millions of views, especially simple videos for children. You name it and you can find it.
Yes, personalized talking head videos are still worth doing, but if you plan to publish one, make sure it contains content people want and need. Also, I highly advise inserting some short, relevant clips or photos in a few spots, on top of your talking head. Unless you’re a celebrity or talking about something of GREAT interest, you need to add some attractive visual aids to keep the attention of your audience.
Out of ALL the helpful digital marketing tips I’ve published over the years, this one about video marketing is the BEST. You DO NOT need to create a professional level video. It just needs to be clean, attractive and reasonably well done.
Look at the video example below. I made that in about 2 days time, including taking the photos and video clips. I’m by no means a professional photographer, videographer or video editor. I use a good iPhone for photos and video clips on the ground. I know how to frame a shot and avoid shooting directly into the sun. If I’m narrating, I use a good USB connected mic. For the drone footage I use a consumer level model intended for photos & videos. Then I edit with Screenflow. It costs about $100, it’s easy to learn and even easier to make all the edits I will ever need.
Video Marketing Continues to Change
Just when many Youtubers became reasonably proficient at creating some pretty darn good slide show type videos, online video marketing evolved towards personalized head shot type videos. It was no longer about putting an actor or your most polished salesperson in front of the camera and talking up your business. Nowadays, it’s less spit and polish and more about authenticity. You don’t need a green screen, but please do select a neutral, contrasting background,
Connect with Your Audience
The method to online video marketing has evolved into an approach that is more about connecting to an audience on an emotional, personal or even spiritual level. Certainly, appearance still matters, but it’s not just looking good and selling! It’s really as simple as going in front of your camera, providing interesting value, while being the real you! People are sick and tired of being marketed, especially online. Unless you have a product that is so popular your prospective customers will do almost anything to get it, they don’t want to hear your pitch! They don’t want what you are selling, and unless they just happen to need your product or service, they won’t bother to watch and listen! So, what to do? What is the next step to your online video marketing? It’s simple really, and if taking the time to break it down, it’s easier than ever!
How to Offer Value in Your Videos and Be the Real You?
The idea is to establish relationships with your customer base before they are ready to buy your product or service. Instead of going online and constantly pitching your product, create authentic videos with you talking about subjects, directly or indirectly related to your business. Learn what your prospective customers are interested in. What are their pain points? What frustrates them? What movies do they like? Where do they like to shop and dine. Find a way to connect with your audience in a manner they relate to.
The video below is one of many informational neighborhood videos I created for our family real estate website. Except for about 10 seconds, there is no marketing included. It’s not about us, it’s about helpful information we can provide for our audience. Although this video includes drone footage, it’s not necessary. Yes, the aerial footage helps, but some of our best videos have no drone footage whatsoever. By publishing our community videos, we have received many high quality leads that converted into clients. I can’t tell you how many times we were told they watched the videos on our website, Youtube or Vimeo.
See more examples of our Santa Clarita community videos.
They Say they Can’t Come Up With Ideas…
As a web developer, I build websites for many small businesses. The owners or operators all think, just by having a website they will be found online. Of course, unless willing to put in some time and effort, having a website alone will never get the job done.
When I share about the effectiveness of creating marketing videos, they get excited, agree to get started, but never do! When I ask why, the usual response is, “I don’t have the time”, or “I don’t know what topics to choose.” Certainly, time is an issue we all understand, but I’ll never understand how anyone cannot come up with topics. I don’t care if others have already covered the same topics. Choose a niche and go for it.
Video Topic Ideas for Real Estate Agents
Take for instance, a real estate agent. Heaven knows, no one wants to watch a video about a realtor talking nonsense about a monthly marketing report. We all need to quit making videos about selling. No more “contact me today because I’m the best ever!” No, let’s instead make videos about informational topics that people find helpful. Who performed at the latest concert in the park? What about fun upcoming community events? How about fundraisers? Who won the annual holiday house decorating contest? By creating videos about interesting local activities, neighborhoods and people, the realtor will have an audience that is familiar with them, so when it’s time to buy or sell a home, the agent’s name or brand might come to mind. It’s really that simple!
Video Topic Examples for More Business Types
See below some ideas for videos. Even if your specific business is not mentioned, the examples are sure to get the wheels turning.
- Construction Companies – How To Videos are still a great way to gain an audience and home improvement contractors can make fantastic use of videos. If you are a window contractor, cover topics about saving on energy costs. Make sure you reference the local area. Perhaps, How to Save on electricity in your city this summer. There’s also no reason you can’t make videos about local events. What local restaurants do your employees like best.
- Restaurant Business – Recipes, recipes and more recipes. People love recipes! Make a video of you and your child cooking together. Make how to videos about how to prepare meals for a family re-union. The topics are endless! Again, include a geographic reference when ever possible. People in Los Angeles lovey eating this food. Why do they like it so much. You see!
- Medical Field – This is simple. Have fun creating videos about general healthy living. You never have to offer up one bit of professional medical opinion. You are sharing general knowledge, but you are doing it in a friendly way and personalizing it.
- Attorneys – Instead of going on camera acting like you are speaking to a judge or a jury, just be yourself and talk about interesting cases. They don’t even need to be your cases. It could be about something in the local news! Be sure to reference cases at your specific courtrooms. Always try to make geographic references. You don’t need to speak as a professional, but you can if you want.
- Accountant – Well, this is easiest of all! It’s all about taxes and audits, but you do your videos from the perspective of talking to your neighbor. In fact, if you like NFL football, talk about how about the player that made 20 million playing in the NFL, but is now broke? Reference local schools with directions for grads on how to manage their money.
- Online Product Seller – Start a series of videos about how to find good deals without shopping on Ebay and Amazon. You will have plenty of opportunity to direct and share links to your online store. If you are selling specific products, share about the problems those products solve, directly and indirectly. My wife is a Scentsy consultant and shares how using a flameless candle is a safer alternative than a traditional candle. She even shared clips of houses burning down. When selling nationwide you really DO NOT want to make a local reference. However
Until you gain an audience, it’s best to avoid creating a video about huge, worldwide or nationwide events. For instance, unless one of the players was a past customer or lived in your area, don’t waste your time giving your opinion about the Super Bowl or favorite NBA team. Instead, choose small niche topics related to your business and make local geographic references.
This isn’t Rocket Science, It’s Simple Trust!
The idea is to establish trusted relationships by publishing videos without all the sales hype. Be the real you and just talk to the camera as if you were talking to a friend or neighbor. You can still create a sales video every now and then, but it’s all about long term relationships built on trust. When the time comes for a member of your audience to buy the product or service you are selling, that person will think of you because he or she thinks of you as a friend, not a salesperson!